Thursday, February 24, 2011

One-eighty

Okay, people.
I know I have been building up the suspense about having news to share with you.
I'm dramatic in that way.
Remember when I told you I didn't know what I was going to do with my life anymore here?

Well this has all sparked from me reflecting on my career choice.
I was planning on finishing up college with a degree in Social Work.
I thought I would be great at it because of my past and because I care so much.
Now I am beginning to realize that I would probably be bad at it because of those very same reasons.
It might be a little too emotional. Too personal. Too close to my heart.
SO, what to do?
I got this job at an awesome salon, right?
I have been in love with it. 
Marry me salon job? Pretty please?
I have been talking to people who work as hair stylists and etheticians, and they love their jobs.
I have always loved doing my hair and make-up, but I figured every girl does, right?
I never saw myself doing that as a career.
Until now.
I love working with people. I love talking and sharing. I love making people feel good. I love sharing life experiences and learning from others.
I thought that all those skills were directing me toward psychology and social work.
Because apparently being a Chatty Kathy isn't a real career. Who knew?
But since I got this job, I'm starting to think they could be better used elsewhere.
All this to say, tomorrow I have an interview at the Paul Mitchell Beauty School in Portland.
I'm going to see what it's all about, explore my new found passion, and see if the school is a fit for me.
Or if they want me. Please want me! 
I am soo nervous.
Not necessarily about the interview, but about this whole shift in my life.
I'm just going where the breeze takes me.
This breeze is blowing pretty hard and it's starting to seem like a hair-dryer.


So, now that the cat's out of the bag, any thoughts? Advice? Words of wisdom?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

12 comments:

  1. you go girl! If this is what God has put on your heart then take it! I'm backin' you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Olive! I'll be thinking about ya! I'm thinking hair down with some curl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll do great! I know 4 women who went to beauty school and loved it! 3 for hair and as an esthetician. But I hear you have to go other schools or have a great connection to get into working at a top notch salon.... But you'll be fine. You've definitely got the personality for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luck luck luck! Can't wait to hear how it's going, I've been saying little prayers about this all day for ya. I'm sure you'll knock their socks off :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on deciding! My friend went to that school and she really enjoyed it. She also is bomb awesome good at hair now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats! that'll be amazing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck =) one of my friends went to cosmetology school! she said it can be harder than people think, but she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck and congrats, I think that sounds just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no doubt that you will be a success at anything you decide to go into. And this is so much more upbeat than social work. Smart girl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this sounds absolutely wonderful. You'll know if it fits and it clicks.

    I used to be studying to be an English teacher; but when I saw the passion that all my fellow wannabe-english-teachers had, I realized that I was missing the passion. I'm now a English major with a writing concentration. I love it. It clicks. I'm excited about doing my homework. Who knew that could happen, right?

    Definitely, run after this idea!
    "Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - howard thurman

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are gonna rock this Olivia. I love reading your blog and hearing about all you. And hey...if you ever need anyone to practice on lol I am willing...and would love a new haircut. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1-your blog is awesome! and thanx for commenting on mine. I'll be following as soon as I finish writing this.

    2-I'm moving with the shift of dreams and plans too. It's all good. The world is yours.

    3-Good luck on your JOB interview!

    ReplyDelete

Say something, why don't ya?